Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Why I Love Costume Construction


When I was eighteen years old, I was in a used bookstore in Los Angeles when I came across my first book of costume patterns made to scale designed to be used to create historic costumes.  The name of the book was Costume Design and Making: A Practical Handbook and was originally written by Mary Fernald & E. Shenton in 1937 the version I was holding was printed in 1967 by Theatre Art Books in New York.  It was quite old, but still in great shape. 

I had learned to sew as a little girl and was very familiar with commercial patterns but for some reason until this moment it had not occurred to me that I could make my own patterns to create costumes and it had not occurred to me that I could analyze a painting or a drawing or photograph and create what I wanted to make without altering an existing commercial modern fashion pattern.  I bought that book that day and I still have it on my bookshelf.  In fact, it spurred a life-long obsession with collecting books on costume design and construction.  I can open the book and still see the pencil lines and calculations from scaling up the patterns from the 1/8 inch scale.  I still have photos of some of the costumes I created this way. 

Two years after I purchased this book I took pattern drafting and draping classes which cemented my love of construction and how costumes are made.  Eventually, I would pursue a graduate degree in Costume and Textile Conservation and in the course of those studies I confess I paid little attention to anything other than how historic fashion was constructed.  I don’t know what it is about clothing construction past and present that so captivates my mind since in actuality no other construction enthralls me in the same way.  I do know that I've spent hours and hours thinking about, analyzing and drawing how costumes and fashions are made and I will spend countless more doing so. 

Lately, I've been amazingly lucky to be spending my professional time teaching fashion history and construction and though I've taken detours good and bad in my career I always come back to this one true love. 

Below are some pages from my Costume Journal showing an analysis of an Early Middle Ages (460-1065) woman’s costume. 





No comments:

Post a Comment