Sunday, February 10, 2013

Can re-creating an 18th Century Stomacher help me lose weight?


I’ve had an issue I’m sure many of us have, I tend to wander around the kitchen and eat at night before bed.  I eat way too much at night before bed.  This is a weird habit that came on me when I was very stressed at work a few years ago.  I’d eat a big lunch then work late and not get home from my long commute until seven or eight at night.  I’d be starving, Id eat too much and then spend the rest of the night wired from stress and exhaustion aimlessly looking for something else to eat.  I’d flounder around changing stations too tired and with too much in my head to settle on any one show.  There I was too scattered be a good couch potato.  Eventually it got so that I couldn't sleep unless I felt overfull.  I've always been a terrible sleeper and I convinced myself the food, usually some form of fatty carbohydrate was helping me get to sleep. 
A few years ago I made some drastic changes in my life and work style and am now very happy and a lot less stressed but I found myself entrenched in the bad night eating food habit.  This past year I've been working with a health coach courtesy of my health benefits, a plus in the taking a lower paying job with a larger company sweepstakes.  My coach encouraged me to find something to do in the evening that occupied my concentration and kept me physically busy, but that wasn't too active to keep me from falling asleep.  That’s actually a pretty tall order, not many activities and hobbies fit that bill.  However, I was reminded that I had once been really fascinated with embroidery and while I had never practiced it fully it was something that I wanted to learn that would be perfect for the challenge presented by Cory, my health coach.

Of course, I didn't want to start with simple steps and work my way up I wanted to jump right in and create a costume inspired project and what came to mind was to create an 18th Century Stomacher that I could finish and frame in a shadow box and possibly exhibit someday.  Not too ambitious … LOL

Actually, I want to do a whole series … but I guess I should just start with one, right?

This is why I posted the 18th Century stomacher yesterday.  I wanted to show you the inspirations and concept for this ongoing project.  Today I’m posting how I’ve accomplished, so far.  This is a great way for me to follow my own progress in an objective way and to encourage myself to continue until this is completed.

Of course, I have to point out that this project is inspired by an 18th Century Stomacher, but that the fabric, and content and colors of floss are modern and not historically correct.  Just saying ...

What about you, what activities have you tried or do you want to try to keep the evening munchies at bay?





No comments:

Post a Comment