Saturday, February 23, 2013

The role of the epic fail in creativity

The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Evening dress


The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Evening dress (clipped to polyvore.com) by Callot Soeur  1918-19.



Yesterday I set out to create what has to be the easiest costume ever – really – the Greek Chiton.  I intended for this to be a re-purpose project and tried several different and interesting materials, none of which would do what I wanted.  Finally, I went to be last night in utter frustration and when I woke up this morning and began the business of my day, I realized I had actually draped a beautiful costume from a completely different era in time.  Instead of the simplistic Chiton I was trying to achieve I had somehow created a gown reminiscent of Callot Soeur in the mid-1920s. 


I’d been watching season three of Downton Abby and I think the time period was just stuck in my head and that anything I tried to create might have come out looking like something from season three of the show.  This experience has taught me something about the nature of inspiration and influence and that the “do-over” sometimes becomes the “do-instead”.




Nothing Ancient Greek about this drape, but it will be a beautiful prototype for a Downton Abby inspired tea party. 

So what is your favorite epic fail story that turned out OK for you as an artist or designer?

No comments:

Post a Comment