Monday, February 4, 2013

Italian Renaissance Costume Research using Polyvore


This week in my Fashion History class we’re studying the Italian Renaissance and I've reviewed some projects with some perplexing information included.  For example, several students seem to believe that the Italian Renaissance took place in 1968.  Not a typo a genuine answer repeated several time over the last several semesters. I believe this has to do with the Franco Zeferelli film of Romeo and Juliet produced in 1968.  For those of you joining the story late, the Italian Renaissance is generally dated between 1420 and 1600.  So for today’s project I wanted to explore some resources that might help my students to gather information and submit their reports.  Specifically, I wanted to know if the online clipping and shopping tool, Polyvore, would work for historic image research projects.

What I did to test Polyvore for research viability was to reference the Metropolitan Museum of Art website to gather painting resources of women’s costumes from the Italian Renaissance period.  I downloaded the Polyvore clipping tool and I made a collage of painting images.  Not liking the original outcome – it was missing an appropriate background for the time period - I added a search for Italian Renaissance textiles and used a period proper textile image to set as the foundation on which to build the collage.  Though, not as robust as Photoshop the speed and ease of use make this a great informational gathering and display tool.

The Polyvore site keeps the proper attribution of where the pictures were found online, however, I lost those when I downloaded the collage to save on my computer.  Anyone using the collages for class research will have to find a way to print the attributions separately to hand in with collage projects.

Overall, though, I found this a great way to gather images for inspiration and illustrating research.  





No comments:

Post a Comment